There are a lot of us who know someone that suffers from Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. For those people who are close to these patients, they know how difficult it is to cope with these conditions. Although this can be difficult to handle, there are ways to make it easier for someone to cope up with the challenges and show their support for the patients as well as their families. This will help in creating more awareness.
The following are some ways on how to be a friend to someone with dementia:
• Always make it a point to listen well to the patient when he/she is talking.
• Offer real help like assistance and other similar aids
• Connect with other families who have the same ordeals and offer help
• Refer people to the right organization for support and offer help like the Alzheimer’s Society
• Always respect the patient
• Talk or communicate to the patient effectively
• Make it a point to keep in touch
• Give the patient a treat
• Know more about dementia